Refuse Collection 101
When is my Refuse & Recycling Collection Day?
Call (562) 570-2876 to inquire about your collection day, or use our MapIt Application to see your refuse/trash pickup day online, along with street sweeping information and more.
- Load MapIt
- Enter your address (blue box on the right)
- Find your trash day under "Sanitation" along with information about other City services. Recyclables are collected each week on the same day as your refuse. Single family homes or small apartment complexes (up to 10 units) can recycle by using a City-provided, purple recycling cart.
Cart Placement & Care
- Please have carts out in the alley or curbside by 6 a.m. on your collection day, then bring them in within 12 hours after they have been emptied.
- Leave 2 feet of space between recycling and trash carts (or parked cars).
- Place all trash inside your cart. The automated system cannot collect trash set out in other cans, bags or boxes.
- Make sure the arrow on the lid is pointing toward the street and the lid is closed.
- Avoid overfilling the cart. The automated system works best if the lid is completely closed. (Do not place more than 200 lbs in your 100-gallon cart, or more than 150 lbs in your 64-gallon cart.)
Due to California's waste reduction law, your monthly service charge will be based on the size and number of carts that you use.
Automated carts are available in two sizes:
100-Gallon = 3 regular trash cans
64-Gallon = 2 regular trash cans
Refuse Do’s and Don’ts
Yes: the following items can be placed in dark gray cart for collection:
- Regular household trash
- Yard waste like tree trimmings, grass clippings, etc. (...or use your yard waste for backyard composting)
No: keep the following items out of your dark gray refuse cart:
- Household hazardous waste (paint, motor oil, gasoline, household cleaners, etc.)
- Rocks, concrete or dirt
- Hot ashes
- Debris from construction, remodeling or demolition
- Heavy or oversized items that require a special pick up
Holiday Schedule for Refuse and Recycling Collection
Refuse and recycling are collected on all holidays except Christmas and News Year's Day. When Christmas and News Year's Day fall on a weekday, collection for the Holiday and the remainder of that week will be delayed one day, ending Saturday.