Recycling Service for Apartment Buildings
How to recycle at an apartment building depends on who the hauler is for your building.
If you have purple carts for recycling, your building has service through the City of Long Beach and you can follow these Recycling Guidelines.
If you do not have City service, but there are recycling carts, the name and phone number of the private hauler that services them should be written on the carts and you can contact them for their recycling guidelines.
If your building does not have recycling service, you will need to contact your apartment manager to have them request recycling service from their service provider.
If your apartment manager is not able to provide you the service, please contact us at LBrecycles@longbeach.gov to see if we can help.
Tips to make recycling easier in your apartment
Have a separate, unlined container to collect recyclables next to your interior trash container.
- Place recyclables loose in the recycling cart, never in plastic bags.
- If you do choose to use a bag to collect your recyclables, empty them into the outdoor recycling container and reuse the bag.
Place the recycling guidelines where they are easy for everyone in the home to see.
- If your apartment manager has not given you guidelines for recycling, find your hauler’s contact information by looking on the outdoor recycling container and request recycling guidelines from that hauler.
How to dispose of bulky items
If you have a bulky item or excess waste that doesn’t fit into the available garbage or recycling containers, contact your apartment manager so that they can request a special pick-up for you.
If you have a City of Long Beach trash and recycling account, you may schedule your own special collection.
- You have access to 4 free pick-ups a year.
- If your apartment has City Service, the building is eligible for up to 4 free pick-ups a year
Dumping bulky items or other waste instead of properly disposing of them is illegal and can create a public health hazard.