Used Motor Oil Recycling
Why is it important to properly dispose of used motor oil?
It is up to us to properly handle used motor oil to prevent it from getting into the soil or into our waterways. Used motor oil contains many pollutants and accounts for over 40 percent of the oil pollution of our nation’s harbors and waterways. Recycling used motor oil also allows it to be re-refined and used again, creating less of a demand for new oil.
If you see that oil has been spilled on the ground or in a storm drain, please notify the city here: Illegal disposal report
- Drop off at a local, certified used oil collection center
- Request a free pick up of used oil and oil filters
- Or take to a local HHW collection center:
Long Beach & Los Angeles County residents have access to free disposal of hazardous waste at the following locations & times:
- LA County EDCO Recycling and Transfer Environmental Collection Center - 2755 California Ave, Signal Hill, Ca 90755(Open 2nd & 4th Sat. of each month - 9:00am to 2:00pm)
- Gaffey Street S.A.F.E. Center - 1400 N. Gaffey St., San Pedro, CA 90731 1-800-98-TOXIC (86942) (Open Sat & Sun only - 9:00am to 3:00pm)
Request a FREE Pick-Up of Motor Oil and/or Oil Filters
Residents with city serviced refuse service can request that used motor oil and filters be picked up on your next recycling collection day.
Call (800) 774-0222, or use the online form below, to request free containers and bags, and to schedule a used motor oil/filter pickup.
Motor oil and filters will be collected only after you have requested a pickup. Your request must be received before 4:00 p.m. the weekday before your recycling collection day. Requests made after that time will be scheduled for your collection day a week later.
On your scheduled used oil collection day, place motor oil and filters two feet away from your recycling cart (NOT inside the cart). Used motor oil and filters MUST be in the containers provided for oil collection. Do not leave used motor oil or filters out at the curb unless you have requested a pickup.
+ Local weekend HHW Collection Events