Nearly 100 tons of tires (passenger tires only) are collected in the City of Long Beach every year. That’s approximately 10,000 tires!
Why is it important to properly dispose of tires?
- They are highly flammable, and if burned, the smoke emission is very toxic.
- If improperly stored outdoors, tires collect standing water, where mosquitoes breed.
- Tires that are dumped illegally on public right-of-ways make our neighborhoods look run down and unsightly.
Used tires can be recycled or reused in many ways:
- Retread into new tires
- Rubberized playground surfaces
- Running and walking track surfaces
- Rubber flooring underlayment
- Road paving material – Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC)
How to recycle passenger tires in Long Beach
Long Beach households that have City-serviced refuse can have up to five (5) passenger tires picked up for recycling at no additional cost through the City’s Special Collection program. Residents can schedule up to four (4) special collections per year. To schedule a special collection, submit a request online or call (562) 570-2876.
Illegally dumped tires can be reported to the Environmental Services Bureau at (562) 570-2876 or through the GO Long Beach smartphone app.