Make your home a healthier environment for your family and pets. Keep toxic chemicals out of our soil and water by using environmentally friendly products in your home and yard. You can make many green products yourself that are easy to make and will save you money.
Why is it important to use environmentally friendly products?
- There are more than 80,000 chemicals currently used in the United States and most haven’t been adequately tested for their effects on human health (National Resources Defense Council).
- The average US household accumulates as much as 300 pounds of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) annually.
Purchasing Environmentally Friendly Products
- Read Labels: Avoid products with words like caution, warning, danger, poison, flammable, corrosive, and toxic.
- Avoid Misleading Labels: Products that are labeled with words such as "eco," "bio", or "organic" do not mean it is an environmentally friendly product. Look for the word, "non-toxic," and verify the label using legitimate 3rd party certifications.
- Go Reusable: Remember to stock your cleaning kit with reusable and washable cleaning supplies such as rags, sponges, and spray bottles instead of disposable products.
- Save Money and Make Your Own: Make your own cleaning and gardening supplies that are safer and will save you money.
- For example, you can make 20 gallons of environmentally friendly laundry detergent for about $10. To buy this much, you would pay anywhere between $140 for a bargain brand and $360 for a name brand.
- Some common ingredients are:
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil Soap
- Non-Chlorine Bleach
- View our Do It Yourself (DIY) Green Cleaning Recipes PDF available in: