- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Building & Safety
Our team of more than 65 building safety experts works tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure the safety of our residents and businesses. In addition to making sure that buildings are in compliance with State and local building codes, we assist developers with new projects meet our safety standards. That includes ensuring that buildings are structurally sound and have reliable fire prevention and suppression systems, as well as confirming properly installed and maintained electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems. While safety is our main priority, we also ensure that energy efficiency and sustainability are incorporated to advance the future of our City.
To help balance the City’s budget during this economic downturn, Development Services will be closed on alternating Fridays for staff furloughs (unpaid time off). During these furlough days, our Department's regular services, including inspections, will be unavailable. To see a schedule of impacted service days, visit longbeach.gov/furlough.
MODIFIED OPERATIONS DUE TO COVID-19
Due to COVID-19 and the closure of our City Hall Development Permit Center, we are experiencing longer than usual response and processing times for service requests by phone and email. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION INFORMATION
The Development Permit Center is accepting email applications for Express Permits for Express Permits and other Permits for construction projects that do not need a plan check.
View the Development Permit Application
The completed permit application, along with any required documents when requested by staff, can be emailed in PDF format (less than 75 MB) to DV-BuildingSafety@longbeach.gov.
For further instruction on how to email projects or information about a pending application, please contact staff at 562.570.6499 or email DV-BuildingSafety@longbeach.gov.
Contractors registered on the City’s Online Permitting System can continue with project submittals as before.
Those seeking Express Permits should indicate so on the subject line when submitting their application emails. For this express service, some or all of the following materials are needed:
- California License Contractor’s Declaration and Owner-Builder’s Declaration (Found on pages 9-10 of the application)
- Owner/Builder/Contractor Permit Proxy Form (Used by owner or agency/representative in the absence of the Owner/Builder/Contractor, found on pages 11-12 of the application)
- Plot Plan
To obtain information or questions about building permit records or status, please also visit the permit status page.
The Development Permit Center is accepting email applications and construction documents for construction projects that need a plan check.A completed permit application, along with the construction documents, must be converted into PDF (less than 75MB) and emailed to DV-BuildingSafety@longbeach.gov to begin the plan intake process (herein referred to as EOTC).
View the Development Permit Application
For the relevant details and instructions on how to prepare your construction documents and the pertinent information that is required, please go to Plan Review Services.
For the relevant details and instructions on how to submit projects through the EOTC process, please go to Project Plan Submittal and Review Service.
Applicants who receive email/phone notices regarding their plans have the option to schedule an appointment to pick them up in person at our pickup station located in the City Hall Plaza.
City staff will be available to coordinate the pickups and will be adhering to social distancing guidelines. Masks are required, and hand sanitizers will be made available.
Plans from other Departments will not get bundled together for pickup unless requested by the applicant.
LOCATION: Long Beach Civic Center Plaza, 411 W. Ocean Blvd. Tables and signs will be posted.
PICKUP STATION DAYS/TIMES: Tuesdays & Thursdays, between 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. Appointments must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 562.570.7648 (PMIT) during business hours.
Our goal is to have staff review them within 24 hours, but in some cases, it may take several days. The following is our anticipated general schedule to notify applicants and process their various types of service requests:
- Project Submittal Intake: 5 to 15 business days
- Project Status Check and Other General Inquiries: 1 to 5 business days
- Project Building Plan Check (depending on complexity, volume submitted, and type of project): 4 to 7 weeks
- Project Fire/Subtrade Plan Check (depending on complexity, volume submitted, and type of project): 2 to 4 weeks
- Permit Issuance: 5 to 15 business days
- Inspection Request: 1 to 2 business days
SERVICES AND RESOURCES
HOW DO I?
More information on constructing or installing fences and walls.
A grading permit shall be obtained from the City’s Building Official for any grading work, except as specified in the following cases:
- Grading in an isolated, self-contained area, provided there is no danger to the public, and that such grading will not adversely affect adjoining properties.
- An excavation below finished grade for basements and footings of a building, retaining wall, or other structure authorized by a valid building permit.
- Cemetery graves.
- Refuse disposal sites controlled by other regulations.
- Excavation for wells or tunnels or utilities which do not provide vertical or lateral support for buildings, or adversely impact the safety or stability of private or public properties.
- Mining, quarrying, excavating, processing or stockpiling rock, sand, gravel, aggregate or clay controlled by other regulations, provided such operations do not affect the lateral support of, or significantly increase stresses in, soil on adjoining properties.
- Exploratory excavations performed under the direction of a registered design professional.
- An excavation which is less than two feet in depth, or does not create a cut slope greater than five feet in height and steeper than a 50% slope. This exception shall not apply to cut which exceeds 50 cubic yards or which changes the existing drainage pattern.
- A fill less than one foot in depth and placed on natural terrain with a slope flatter than 10%. This exception shall not apply when the fill exceeds 50 cubic yards or when the fill changes the existing drainage pattern.
- Excavation for caissons or piles under buildings or structures, swimming pools, or underground structures that are authorized by valid building permits.
A permit is valid for two years from the date issued, provided that any permit shall expire after 180 days from the the date of issuance if the work has not commenced, or when the City’s Building Official determines the work authorized by any permit has been suspended, discontinued or abandoned for a continuous period of 180 days.
A Plan Check Extension Form, can be filed to extend a permit application within 30 days of its expiration. Applicants must provide sufficient evidence that circumstances beyond their control prevented action to secure the permit within the allotted time and submit a filing fee of $241.55 in person at the Development Permit Center.
Financial hardship, contracting issues with design professionals or contractors, or seasonal weather conditions are typically not adequate reasons for the granting of an extension.
Join us for Special Virtual Community Workshop on Draft City Ordinances
The workshop will take place on August 27 from 10:00 - 11:30 a.m and will discuss abandoned oil/gas wells and methane gas mitigation.
Relief Extended Again for Qualified Renters Affected by COVID-19News
The City Council took new action to further extend an emergency ordinance that temporarily halts evictions for residential and certain commercial tenants.
Development Permit Center Temporarily ClosedNews
The Permit Center will remain closed until further notice. We have implemented modified operations to continue serving customers online and by phone and email during this closure.
HOW WE'RE DOING
Development Permit Center
|M:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|T:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|W:||9:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|TH:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|F:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|