Building & Safety Bureau
Working hard to ensure that buildings are safe, sustainable and structurally sound — Bureau staff responded to 7,400 phone calls for plan checks and completed reviews of 1,049 projects. A total of 2,206 permits were issued and 9,901 residential & commercial inspections were conducted.
Code Enforcement Bureau
Striving to maintain and improve the quality of life of neighborhoods and community corridors, the Bureau received 1,228 general property complaints and collected $12,638 in fines & fees for various violations. Also, 5,535 City health order compliance inspections by the Venue Task Force were conducted.
View 4th Quarter Report
Housing & Neighborhood Services Bureau
Helping create a more livable and sustainable community, Bureau staff completed 17 home and commercial improvement rebate projects around the city. There were also 13 neighborhood clean-up events that featured 219 volunteers, which resulted in 117 tons of trash and debris collected.
View 4th Quarter Report
Playing an essential role in shaping the city’s future, the Bureau processed and completed 143 historic preservation cases, conducted 37 project approvals and assisted 2,800 customers on the Bureau’s Zoning Information Line. The Bureau also held eight community outreach events.
View 4th Quarter Report
- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Welcome to the Long Beach Development Services Department
|View COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Daily Updates
Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program (LB-ERAP)
Information & Support: 833-358-5372
Our team offers a variety of programs and services related to planning, building and safety, code enforcement, affordable housing, neighborhood improvement, and historic preservation to help create and maintain more safe, sustainable, and livable neighborhoods. We are committed to providing an exceptional customer experience for residents, property and business owners, builders, investors, and visitors alike and is available to provide guidance about our services to ensure the success of your project.
MODIFIED OPERATIONS DUE TO COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, City Hall, including the Development Permit Center and Neighborhood Resource Center, remains closed to the public until further notice.
The Development Services Department will be continuing modified operations via phone, email, and online. Please visit the following Bureau pages for more details on how to access our services and support:
- Building & Safety Bureau Plan pickups, plan submittals, permit issuances, and inspection services. NOTE: The Bureau is experiencing longer than usual processing times and we do anticipate delays. We appreciate your patience. Contact 562-570-PMIT (7648)
- Code Enforcement Bureau Abatement issues, dangerous conditions, exterior inspections, health & safety situations. Contact: 562-570-CODE (2633)
- Housing & Neighborhood Services Bureau Housing resource referrals and processing of loans and rebates. Contact: 562-570-6949
- Planning Bureau Project updates, plan checks, entitlements, and public noticing. Contact: 562-570-6194
For a more comprehensive list of contacts, view the LBDS Contact List.
STAY INFORMED - Program & Service Updates
Applications Now Available for New Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The City is now accepting applications from landlords and tenants for the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
2020 Annual Report Released
Development Services is proud to release the 2020 Year in Review, which highlights our collective effort to continue Building a Better Long Beach.
Join Us For Our Upcoming Housing Element Update Community MeetingsNews, Public Notice
Please join us for one of two community meetings regarding the Housing Element Update. Both meetings will cover the same information, including a project update and opportunity to provide feedback.
COMMUNITY EVENTS & MEETINGS
Meeting schedules are as follows:
- Board of Examiners, Appeals & Condemnation (BEAC): third Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m.
- Cultural Heritage Commission (CHC): last Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m.
- Long Beach Community Investment Co. (LBCIC): every third Wednesday of each month at 4 p.m.
- Planning Commission (PC): every first and third Thursday of each month at 5 p.m.
- Zoning Administrator (ZA): every second and fourth Monday of each month at 2 p.m.
Sign up for LinkLB notices to be notified when agendas are available.
Board of Examiners, Appeals and Condemnation Meeting
Zoning Administrator Notices of Public Hearing
Housing Element Community Meeting Option 1
Housing Element Community Meeting Option 2
How We're Doing
Upcoming Closure Dates
3-Month Schedule for City Hall/Development Services Dept. closures:
To see a schedule of impacted service days, visit longbeach.gov/furlough.
Long Beach, CA – The City of Long Beach Development Services Department is now accepting applications from landlords and tenants for the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program (LB-ERAP), the new program that was established under the Long Beach Recovery Act approved last month by the City Council.