| || || || |
|City of Long Beach DHHS Tobacco Retail Enforcement Program|
Do you sell tobacco products?
You must have a valid Tobacco Retail Permit
issued annually by the City of Long Beach
This permit requirement has been enacted to discourage the sale of tobacco products to minors. Anyone who sells tobacco products without an annual city permit is subject to criminal prosecution which may be punishable by up to six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine (Long Beach Municipal Code § 5.81). The City of Long Beach annual Tobacco Retail Permit is required in addition to your State License issued by the California State Board of Equalization. Call (800) 400-7115 for your State License.
FREE BOE Classes for Retailers July 26, 2012
Click here for more information
|Frequently Asked Questions |
|Who is required to obtain an annual Long Beach Tobacco Retail Permit? |
Anyone who sells cigarettes, tobacco products and/or tobacco paraphernalia within the City of Long Beach. This annual City Permit is in addition to the annual Cigarette and Tobacco License issued by the California State Board of Equalization. Call (800) 400-7115 for your State License.
What are the requirements of the City's Tobacco Retail Permit?
The Tobacco Retail Permit requires that tobacco retailers comply with federal, state and local tobacco-related laws, including provisions of the City's Tobacco Retail Permit. Information about the City's Tobacco Retail Permit can also be found in Section 5.81 of the Long Beach Municipal Code. The Long Beach City Council adopted this ordinance on February 8, 2008 to encourage responsible retailing and to discourage violations of federal, state and local tobacco-related laws, especially those that prohibit the sale or distribution of tobacco products to minors.
Educational materials regarding local, state, and federal tobacco laws can be obtained by contacting the Tobacco Retail Enforcement Program at (562) 570-7905.
|How much does the Long Beach Tobacco Retail Permit cost? |
The annual fee is $520.00 for each permit (at each location). The term of the permit is one year beginning August 1 and ending on July 31 of the following year.
How do I obtain the annual Long Beach Tobacco Retail Permit?
- You must first submit an application by mail or fax to the Tobacco Retail Enforcement Program at: 2525 Grand Avenue, Room 220 Long Beach, CA 90815. Fax#: (562) 570-4038
- Once your application has been approved, you will be billed for the annual permit fee.
- Your Tobacco Retail Permit must be renewed annually and will not be issued until payment is received.
(DO NOT MAIL PAYMENT WITH YOUR APPLICATION)
How long is the permit effective?
The permit is effective for one year, from August 1 to July 31st, and has to be renewed annually. Tobacco retailers will receive a renewal bill each July.
Do I need to re-apply for the permit every year?
No. If you have not changed retailing locations, you do not have to re-apply for the permit. However, you must pay an annual permit fee. If the retail business has been sold, the new owner must apply for a new permit. A tobacco retailer who sells their business should notify the Long Beach Health Department by calling (562) 570-7905.
Can I sell tobacco from a mobile location?
No. It is illegal to engage in the sale of tobacco, tobacco products, and/or tobacco paraphernalia from a non-fixed location (vehicles, mobile carts, ice cream, catering trucks). Retailing by persons on foot is also prohibited.
Will there be inspections?
Yes. Environmental Health Inspectors will conduct regular site inspections of retailers for compliance with local, state, and federal tobacco retail laws. The Long Beach Police Department will conduct random undercover youth decoy operations to check compliance with laws prohibiting the sale of tobacco products to minors.
I plan to sell tobacco products at a Special Event in Long Beach. Do I need a separate Permit?
Yes. A Special Event Tobacco Retail Permit is required to sell tobacco products and/or paraphernalia at a special event where the public is invited. The Special Event Permit fee is $92. Complete the application listed below and return it to the Tobacco Retail Enforcement Program located at 2525 Grand Ave, Room 220, Long Beach, CA 90815.
Special Event Tobacco Permit Application
Special Event Tobacco Retail Permit Requirements
Where can I get an application? Applications are available:
Applications are available:
- City Hall: 333 W. Ocean Blvd., 4th Floor, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Telephone: Call (562) 570-7905 and request an application be sent to you.
- Health Department: 2525 Grand Avenue, Rm. 220, Long Beach, CA 90815
- Or download the Permit Application
|For more information, contact the City of Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services Tobacco Retail Enforcement Program at: Phone: (562) 570-7905 FAX: (562) 570-4038 |
YOU MUST HAVE BOTH
| || |
Pursuant to Long Beach Municipal Code 5.81
- It is illegal to engage in the sale of tobacco, tobacco products, and/or tobacco paraphernalia without a valid annual Tobacco Retail Permit issued by the City of Long Beach.
- Separate permits must be obtained for each fixed retailing location, even if owned and operated by the same person. The permit must be prominently displayed at all times.
- Failure to comply is illegal and may constitute an infraction or a misdemeanor. It may also result in the suspension or revocation of your ability to sell tobacco products at a business location.
- NOTE: Smoking is prohibited in enclosed public places and workplaces in Long Beach, including but not limited to retail stores and retail service establishments (such as markets, tobacco shops, bars, restaurants, and gaming clubs). LBMC 8.68
| || || |