See below for qualifications, exam schedule, and duties.
• No prior training or experience is required
• 17 years of age as of July 1st, 2016 - Proof of age required at time of conditional employment offer (valid Driver’s License or Birth Certificate).
• Any applicant under 18 years of age must possess a valid work permit from his or her high school, high school diploma, or G.E.D. prior to the start of the training program.
8:00 a.m. Briefing and Sign-up
9:00 a.m. Ocean swim, 1000-yards
9:30 a.m. Run-Swim-Run
12:00 p.m. Announce candidate list for pre-employment scored oral interview
12:30 p.m. Pre-employment interviews begin
2:30 p.m. Pre-employee briefing
The placing in the 1000-yard ocean swim and run-swim-run will determine who moves forward to the pre-employment scored oral interviews. All candidates will enter the pre-employment scored oral interviews at an equal level. The pre-employment oral interview scores will determine who qualifies for the Training Program. The candidates will enter into the training program after successful completion of all pre-employment forms and a medical exam.
The 8-day, 80-hour Training Program is tentatively scheduled for the following four (4) consecutive weekends: Saturday, May 7th - Sunday, May 8th; May 21-22; May 28-29 and June 4-5. Training will begin at 8:00 a.m. and include training in lifeguard tactics, lifeguard operations, first aid, D.O.T. first responder, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, rescue buoys, rescue boards, and timed events. Day 8 will include comprehensive written and practical testing.
The starting pay for a Seasonal Lifeguard is $19.97 per hour pursuant to completion of the Lifeguard Training Academy.
Ocean Lifeguard Duties:
• Watch a designated section of the beach and water from an assigned station
• Answer calls for help and perform rescue and resuscitation work
• Warn bathers of beach and water hazards
• Administer first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation
• Use and maintain rescue equipment
• Take charge of lost children
• Answer questions of beach visitors
• Advise regarding local beach and waterway related ordinances
• Serve as a crewmember or ride-along on rescue boats and in lifeguard vehicles
• Assist in salvage operations of small boats and their property
• Complete and maintain activity records
• Perform other related duties as required
For more information, please visit our website at: