On Sunday, March 4th, 2018, beginning at 8:00 a.m. the Long Beach Fire Department will hold an open test for anyone interested in becoming a Seasonal Lifeguard. Tryouts will be held at Long Beach Lifeguard Beach Operations located at 2100 East Ocean Boulevard. Please note the best access for parking is to enter off Junipero Avenue. In addition, each candidate must bring a swimsuit, towel, and picture identification (i.e. California Identification Card or Driver’s License).
There will be an optional Tryout Orientation on Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. at Long Beach Lifeguard Beach Operations (2100 E Ocean Blvd.)
See below for qualifications, exam schedule, and duties.
- No prior training or experience is required
- 17 years of age as of July 1st, 2018 – Proof of age required at time of conditional employment offer (valid Driver’s License or CA Identification Card or Birth Certificate with school photo ID card).
- Any applicant under 18 years of age must possess a valid work permit from his or her high school, high school diploma, or G.E.D. prior to the start of the training program.
8:00 a.m. Briefing and Sign-up
9:00 a.m. Ocean Swim, 1000-yards
9:00 a.m. Run-Swim-Run
12:00 p.m. Announce candidate list for pre-employment scored oral interview
12:30 p.m. Pre-employment interview begin
2:30 p.m. Pre-employee briefing
Placement in the 1000-yard ocean swim and run-swim-run will determine who moves forward to the pre-employment scored oral interviews. All candidates will enter the pre-employment scored oral interviews at an equal level. The pre-employment oral interview scores will determine who qualifies for the Training Program. The candidates will enter the Training Program after successful completion of all pre-employment forms and medical exam.
The 8-day, 80-hour Training Program is tentatively scheduled for the following dates: Sunday, May 13, Sunday, May 20, May 26-27, June 2-3, and June 9-10. Training days will begin at 8:00 a.m. and include training in lifeguard tactics, lifeguard operations, first aid, D.O.T. first responder, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, rescue buoys, rescue boards, and timed events. Day 8 will include comprehensive written and practical testing.
The starting pay for a Seasonal Lifeguard is $19.97 per hour pursuant to completion of the Lifeguard Training Academy.
Ocean Lifeguard Duties:
- Watch a designated section of the beach and water from an assigned station
- Answer calls for help and perform rescue and resuscitation work
- Warn bathers of beach and water hazards
- Administer first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Use and maintain rescue equipment
- Take charge of lost children
- Answer questions of beach visitors
- Advise regarding local beach and waterway related ordinances
- Serve as a crewmember or ride-along on rescue boats and in lifeguard vehicles
- Assist in salvage operations of small boats and their property
- Complete and maintain activity records
- Perform other related duties as required