Home » Financial Management » Business Info » Business Licenses » Marijuana Business Information

Marijuana Business Licenses

The Business License Division within the Department of Financial Management is the licensing authority for all medical marijuana businesses in the City of Long Beach. 

The City of Long Beach is currently designing regulations regarding the licensing of medical marijuana businesses. The City is not issuing licenses for recreational marijuana businesses at this time; however, the City is issuing licenses for medical marijuana businesses. It is illegal to operate any marijuana business in the City of Long Beach without having the proper state and/or local licenses. 

Important Updates


Beginning January 1, 2018, the City will begin enforcing a 600-foot radius buffer requirement for “day care centers” for Medical Marijuana Businesses. Medical Marijuana Business License applicants who submit applications prior to January 1, 2018 are exempt from the day-care center buffer requirement. However, this exemption will apply only to the specific marijuana license type identified in the application submitted prior to January 1, 2018.

Cultivation and manufacturing businesses intending to self-distribute marijuana or marijuana products should be aware of this requirement.  Beginning January 1, 2018, cultivators and manufacturers will be required by the State to hold a “Distribution” license in order to transport product.  Businesses who do not hold a Distribution license will be required to utilize a third party distributor.

A map of current day care center locations has been posted on the Medical Marijuana Information page under the section Acceptable Facility Locations. The map is provided for informational and preliminary planning purposes only, and is subject to change without notice.

PLEASE NOTE: City Hall will be closed December 25, 2017 and January 1, 2018. 


The State of California will issue temporary marijuana licenses beginning January 1, 2018 pursuant to Business and Professions Code Section 26050.1. In order to apply for a State temporary license, Applicants must provide evidence of a valid license, permit, or other local authorization. The City of Long Beach will issue a letter of local authorization for an applicant to obtain the temporary State license if the proposed medical marijuana business has completed the following tasks:

  1. The Applicant has submitted the Medical Marijuana Business License Application, Operating Plan, Supplemental Information, and applicable fees to the City of Long Beach and such application has been determined by the City Manager or his or her designee to be complete;
  2. The City’s Planning Bureau has conducted a review of the proposed business location and has deemed the application to be in compliance with all applicable buffer distance requirements as set forth in LBMC Section 5.90.030 and Section 5.90.060, as applicable;
  3. The Applicant has submitted all required plans for plan check approval for review by the Department of Development Services and had such plans approved;
  4. The Applicant has been issued a valid building permit for the approved marijuana use at the proposed business location by the Department of Development Services; and
  5. The Applicant has paid all applicable business license taxes and fees. 

The letter of local authorization does not grant a business the right to operate in Long Beach. The letter of local authorization is exclusively intended to assist marijuana businesses in initiating an application for a temporary license with the State to obtain the license in a timely manner.

Approval of a State temporary license also does not grant a business the right to operate in Long Beach. A medical marijuana business may not operate in the City of Long Beach until:

  1. The business has been issued all necessary and valid local permits for the proposed business location;
  2. The City has issued a valid City of Long Beach Medical Marijuana Business License; and 
  3. Beginning January 1, 2018, the proposed business has been issued a valid license from the State licensing authority.

For more information, please see the Local Authorization for Temporary State License section on the Medical Marijuana website.


On Thursday, September 28, 2017, the City of Long Beach held a public lottery to determine which Non-Priority Medical Marijuana Dispensary Business License Applications were eligible to continue in the application process. The remaining 10 dispensary licenses were awarded, resulting in a total of 32 dispensary licenses to be issued in the city. 

The results of the lottery can be found here

A video of the lottery proceedings can be found here.

Please check the website periodically for updates regarding medical and recreational marijuana in the City of Long Beach. 

DISCLAIMER: Neither the City of Long Beach nor the Department of Financial Management, or any other department, officer, or employee of the City of Long Beach, makes any warranty, express or implied or statutory, about the accuracy, completeness, reliability, usefulness, or timeliness of any information, procedure, or process published on this website, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or timeliness of such information.  Portions of such information may be incorrect or not current.  While the City of Long Beach attempts to maintain current information throughout its website, we regret that this may not always be possible.  For instance, the Medical Marijuana “Frequently Asked Questions”, or “FAQ’s”, posted herein are subject to as-needed, frequent updates based on various factors, including but not limited to best practices or changes in law.  
Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from this website does so at his or her own risk.  In no event will the City of Long Beach or any of its departments, officers, or employees be liable to anyone for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for any use or reliance on the information provided.  If you have any questions, we suggest you consult with an attorney.