Change of Address (Relocation)
Any relocation or expansion of the permitted premises that includes a different property address is considered a change of address.
A business that does not have a license or is currently going through the application process may not change their address. The business would need to withdraw their current application and submit a new application under the new address.
In order to relocate:
- Everything on the new change of address application must remain the same (ownership, cannabis activity, etc.) until the new license is approved;
- The business's State and City licenses shall not be the subject of a pending revocation or suspension action;
- The proposed new premises must be located in an Acceptable Facility Location;
- If the business holds an adult-use license, the business's new location must comply with all provisions of Chapter 5.92 and Title 21 of the Long Beach Municipal Code; and
- If the licensee is a Dispensary:
- Both the medical license and the adult-use license shall relocate to the new premises at the same time;
- The new dispensary location cannot be located within 1,000 feet of another dispensary incuding dispensaries that are Active, Pending, or on the Pending/Ineligible List.
- For each separate business license, only one change of address application may be pending at any given time. Multiple applications cannot be submitted for different locations.
- Change of address applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. If multiple businesses submit applications from the same address (or if dispensaries submit applications within 1,000 feet of each other), the business that submitted the application first will be allowed to proceed through the change of address process.
- If the licensee is a dispensary, the licensee shall have two (2) years upon submission of a change of address application to obtain a business license at the proposed location. If the licensee is unable to obtain the business license within the two (2) years, the application will be deemed null and void.
- A cannabis business may not submit a change of address application within thirty (30) days of:
- Withdrawing an application for a change of address; and/or
- Having an application for a change of address be deemed null and void.
Apply for a Change of Address
Businesses wishing to change their licensed location must follow these steps:
- Submit a completed Cannabis Business License Application (select “Change of Address” as the Application Reason in Section A) along with all supporting documents in-person to the Business License Division at City Hall 411 W. Ocean Blvd. 2nd Floor, Long Beach, CA 90802.
- After submitting the application to Business License, the application will be transferred to Zoning to determine if the new location is in an Acceptable Facility Location and if any tenant improvements will be taking place at the property.
- PLEASE NOTE: Dispensaries will need further evaluation by Zoning, which typically takes about 3 to 5 business days. Zoning will contact the applicant via email if the location is approved or denied. If approved, a bill for the application fees will be mailed to the address listed on the application.
- Once Zoning has approved the location, the applicant must pay all application fees.
- Once the application fees have been paid, the application and all supplemental documents will be reviewed by Business License for completeness. It is the goal to have reviews complete within 20 days of receipt of application, however, the applicaiton review process may extend beyond such timeframe. If 20 days have passed and you would like to check on the status of your application review, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the application has been deemed complete, you will be notified via email to proceed to the Facility Permitting and Inspections phase of the application process.
- Once all permitting and inspections have been completed and approved, a City of Long Beach Cannabis Business License will be issued for the new location.
Businesses may not operate at the new location until a valid State license and a valid City of Long Beach Cannabis Business License has been issued. However, the licensee may continue operating at the previous licensed location while the change of address application is pending. Upon issuance of the new license, the previous license will be deemed null and void.
An application will be deemed abandoned if deficiencies in the application are not corrected within ninety (90) days from notification by the City.
For information regarding the Change of Address rules and regulations, please click here.