Alamitos Bay Parking & Circulation Master PlanAlamitos Bay has been a popular destination for locals and visitors alike since it opened in the 1950s. Recent renovations and new businesses have sparked even more success for the area, including an investment of $105 million to upgrade the marina and exciting new real estate development. This success has resulted in an increased demand for parking during certain days and times, and the need for pedestrian and bicycle improvements along Alamitos Bay. The City of Long Beach and its partners are working to continually enhance mobility in the area by maximizing the number of parking spaces and improving the design and circulation of the parking lots and adjacent areas. To achieve these goals, the City is developing the Alamitos Bay Parking and Circulation Master Plan (Master Plan). The development of the Master Plan will include analysis from parking and circulation experts and significant community and stakeholder engagement.
Several pilot programs have been implemented to determine what types of initiatives improve mobility in the area. Based on the results of these pilot programs, the initiatives may become recommendations in the Master Plan. The Master Plan may include improvements such as a free shuttle service, a seasonal valet program, increased security and parking enforcement, and additional parking spaces. The improvements resulting from this plan will greatly enhance the experience of those visiting the area, including businesses, employees, customers, boat owners, neighboring residents, and other members of the public who are visiting this great community asset.
Information about upcoming community meetings or public hearings regarding Alamitos Bay Parking and Circulation Master Plan will be posted here. As City staff are actively working on this issue, there are no scheduled meetings at this time.
Conceptual Plan Commencement
Stakeholder Review of Conceptual Plan
Implementation of Parking Study
UPDATESBASIN 2 - PARKING LOT IMPROVEMENTS
Project objective: Add 100 surface parking spaces
Project start date: November 20, 2018
Projected completion date: December 21, 2018
Construction Updates and Milestones
December 18, 2018
- Asphalt installation has been completed
- Installation of surface sealer is also now complete
- Stripping of the parking lot will begin soon!
December 4, 2018
- The removal of worn asphalt pavement has commenced, including both Basin entrances
- Installation of new concrete sidewalk for pedestrian use on Marina Drive has been completed
- Soil Compaction and irrigation system in the new green space is now complete
November 20, 2018
- Security fencing has been installed
- Trenching has been completed
- Soil compaction is underway
- To increase safety and security, the Parks, Recreation and Marine Department authorized over-time funding for additional Marine Patrol Officers and staff on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Cost analysis is underway for a proposal to add security gate installation and infrastructure associated with such a system.
- A customer survey was recently sent out to all Alamitos Bay Marina boat owners to assess interest in security gates and a camera system.
- Pilot projects that are currently being explored include the installation of removable access chains at gangway entries.
For any questions about Alamitos Bay Parking & Circulation Master Plan, please contact Jose Luis Fierros, Project Manager, at (562) 570-5385 or Jose.Fierros@longbeach.gov