Quick Guide to Doing Business

A 10-Step Plan to Setting Up Shop in Long Beach

1. Evaluate Your Needs And Determine Your Location

2. Zoning

Long Beach Development Services
Phone: (562) 570-6194
Website: www.lbds.info/planning/default.asp
The City of Long Beach has established zoning ordinances for both home-based businesses and commercial addresses.

3. Fictitious Name (dba)

To File a Fictitious Business Name:

Los Angeles County Registar
Phone: (562) 462-2177
Website: www.lavote.net/Clerk/Business_Name.cfm
If you intend to name your firm anything other than your own name, you must file a fictitious business name, also called a dba (Doing Business As).

4. Get A Business License

The City of Long Beach Business License Division
Phone: (562) 570-6211
Website: www.longbeach.gov/finance/business_license/default.asp

Any person operating a business in the City must obtain a business license and pay an annual business license tax. Also, the Business License Division can tell you which permits are necessary before opening.

5. Get Important State Permits

The Business License Division, and Long Beach Development Services can help you determine what other permits or licenses you may need. Contact the appropriate offices listed below.

For Wholesale and Retail Businesses
To Apply for a Seller's Permit:

State Board of Equalization: www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm

For Restaurants and Food Vendors
A Health Inspection is required.

City Health Department: (562) 570-4132 ext. 0

For Restaurants Serving Alcohol and Liquor Stores
A Liquor License is required.
California Department of Alcoholic Beverages Control: (562) 982-1337

For Some Types of Retail and Manufacturing
South Coast AQMD: (310) 233-7000
Website: www.aqmd.gov

Business Structure
If you are filing as a corporation, S corporation, partnership, or limited liability company, you must register.

Secretary of State: (916) 657-5448
Website: www.ss.ca.gov

6. Get the Right City Permits

Long Beach Development Services

Development Services has representatives from various City offices to help determine the permits you will need. The Center is located in City Hall, 4th Floor, 333 West Ocean Boulevard. Contact Development Services staff directly at the numbers listed below.

For questions about Zoning, Environmental Review, Land Use, and Conditional Use Permits.

Phone: (562) 570-6194

Development Services
For questions about Plan Check, Mechanical, and Electrical Permits.

Phone: (562) 570-6651

Business License

Phone: (562) 570-6211

Public Works
For questions on public right-of-way, sanitation, and recycling.

Phone: (562) 570-6383

Fire Prevention Services
Phone: (562) 570-7086

Permit Processing Assistance
The Permit Center offers business assistance by providing information, guidance, counseling, mediation and referral services in getting through the City's permitting process.

Phone: (562) 570-6651

7. Get A Federal Taxpayer Identification Number

Internal Revenue Service
Phone: (800) 829-1040

Website: www.irs.gov
A partnership, corporation, or a sole proprietorship with employees requires a Federal Tax I.D. Number. A sole proprietorship without employees can use the owner's social security number.

8. Get A State Identification Number

Franchise Tax Board
Phone: (800) 852-5711

Website: www.ftb.ca.gov
The same rules generally apply for a State Tax I.D. Number as for a Federal Tax I.D. Number. Please refer to the item above.

9. Open A Checking Account For Your Business Only

Separate business and personal accounting is essential when you file your tax return.

10. Successful Businesses Have Business Plans

The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) offers workshops on how to prepare a business plan.
Phone: (562) 938-5030
Website: www.smallbizla.org