Citizen's Advisory Commission on Disabilities (CACOD)
CACOD's purpose is to advise the Mayor, City Council and City Manager on the concerns and issues affecting people with disabilities in the community.
WHO WE ARE
CACOD consists of community members from the City of Long Beach and representatives from public and private agencies, which provide services to disabled citizens within the City. The commission is composed of a total of 9 members, all appointed by the Mayor of Long Beach and confirmed by the City Council.
WHO WE SERVE
CACOD serves anyone having a physical or mental impairment, which substantially limits functioning in one or more major life activities, or a person who has a record of such impairment. A "life activity" is defined as any mental or physical function or activity, which creates a substantial barrier to such things as employment, housing, transportation, recreation, or health services.
WHAT WE DO
- Act in an advisory capacity to the Mayor, City Council and City Manager;
- Assemble information on issues affecting people with disabilities in the areas of employment, health services, housing, transportation, and recreation, and other life activities;
- Recommend ways to eradicate artificial barriers to a full and productive life for people with disabilities;
- Facilitate coordination between existing and proposed programs for persons with disabilities;
- Carry out studies as assigned by the City Council.
WHEN WE MEET
CACOD meets on the second Thursday of every month at 1:00 p.m. in the City Council Chamber (411 W Ocean Blvd). All meetings are open to the public and participation is encouraged.
Public participation is invited at the beginning of each CACoD meeting and allows time (limited to 3 minutes) for members of the public to address the commission on items listed on the agenda AND matters of public business not listed on the agenda, but within the purview of CACoD.
To contact CACOD, please contact Citywide ADA/Title VI Coordinator Heather Blackmun at (562) 570-6257.
***Please visit the City of Long Beach Calendar Page to see current agendas, watch our meetings or find archived videos and minutes.***