| || || || |
The Long Beach Animal Care Explorer Academy is open to qualified young people in the Long Beach area who wish to serve the public and make the region safer for people and animals. The Unit is associated with the Long Beach Animal Care Services Bureau, and is registered with the Learning for Life organization.
Explorers attending Long Beach Unified School District will be eligible to receive credit toward their service credit graduation requirement
- By training in the procedures of handling animal-related situations related to public health and safety which they will encounter throughout their lives.
- By briefly exploring the many phases of the law enforcement, animal care, and public health service professions.
The program is planned and directed by Long Beach Animal Care Services staff. Hands-on learning experiences include domestic animal, reptile and horse handling, marine animal rescue, instruction on urban wildlife, veterinary medicine, cruelty investigations and more!
REQUIREMENTS: Applicants Must:
- Be at least (15) and not yet (20) years of age by start of the academy.
- Have a clean police record and good citizenship record.
- Maintain at least a "C" grade average at school.
- Be willing to devote necessary time to attend montly meetings, assist with emergencies and participate in several community projects/events.
- Have a desire to work in an animal related field.
Meetings are held at our shelter Education Center from 5:00pm-6:30pm on the 1st Friday of every month February 2015- October 2015. There will be a graduation ceremony in December 2015. Parents are encouraged to join the Explorer Adult Committee and are welcome to attend/participate in monthly meetings. Parents may be asked to assist with transportation, supervising, fundraising, conducting meetings and/or other requests of the Explorer Post Leadership.
There is a $24 one-time registration fee to participate in the Explorer Academy.
EXPLORER POST #872, B.S.A. * Chartered 1975
City of Long Beach Bureau of Animal Care Services (ACS)
City of Long Beach Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine (PRM)
EXPLORER POST #872 2015 recruitment is closed. If you are interested in being on the waitlist, please contact Officer Sorensen at Edna.Sorensen@longbeach.gov
| || || |