Our Pet Literacy program promotes humane treatment and the socialization of animals through reading out loud. This program improves the shelter environment for our guests, creates a connection between people and animals, and promotes socialization and adoptability for the animals in our care.
The program is ongoing during regular business hours. All readers are encouraged to sign-in at the front desk to receive credit for their volunteers hours and to receive information about the program. Readers must be (15) years or older or they must be accompanied by an adult. All students from the Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD) are eligible to receive service hours for the time that they read to the animals so long as they sign-in at the Admissions desk upon each visit.
We ask that any groups who are interested in a tour before they read to the animals please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (see below for rules on tours) Otherwise, all readers are welcome to visit the Village on the day of their availability.
- Tour dates are only Saturdays and Sundays from 10am - 2pm. No group tours will be scheduled after 2 pm.
Groups less than 10 people:
- Contact us at least two weeks in advanced.
- Give us at least Two different times on the day requested for the tour. (no guarantee until it is confirmed by our staff member by email.
Groups of 10 or more:
- At least one month ahead of time to allow for staff to prepare for your visit.
In your email please include:
- Two different dates requested for the tour. (no guarantee on the date until it is confirmed by a staff member by email).