The Long Beach Animal Care Explorer Academy is open to qualified young people in the Long Beach area who wish to serve the public and make the region safer for people and animals. The Unit is associated with the Long Beach Animal Care Services Bureau, and is registered with the Learning for Life organization.
Explorers attending Long Beach Unified School District will be eligible to receive credit toward their service credit graduation requirement.
- To provide interested young people exposure to careers in public safety and the humane treatment of animals, with opportunities to grow personally and professionally through a program of community service.
- To provide young people with the necessary knowledge and skills of animal care and control services, as they pertain to serving the public as animal care professionals.
- To provide a climate emphasizing leadership and responsibility.
- By training in the procedures of handling animal-related situations related to public health and safety which they will encounter throughout their lives.
- By briefly exploring the many phases of the law enforcement, animal care, and public health service professions.
The program is planned and directed by Long Beach Animal Care Services staff. Hands-on learning experiences include domestic animal, reptile and horse handling, marine animal rescue, instruction on urban wildlife, veterinary medicine, cruelty investigations and more!
- Be at least (15) and not yet (20) years of age by start of the academy.
- Have a clean police record and good citizenship record.
- Maintain at least a "C" grade average at school.
- Be willing to devote necessary time to attend montly meetings, assist with emergencies and participate in several community projects/events.
- Have a desire to work in an animal related field.
Meetings are held at our shelter Education Center from 5:00pm-6:30pm monthly. Parents are encouraged to join the Explorer Adult Committee and are welcome to attend/participate in monthly meetings. Parents may be asked to assist with transportation, supervising, fundraising, conducting meetings and/or other requests of the Explorer Post Leadership.
There is a $33 one-time registration fee to participate in the Explorer Academy.
EXPLORER POST #872, B.S.A. * Chartered 1975
The 2018 Explorer Academy is currently full.
- City of Long Beach Bureau of Animal Care Services (ACS)
- City of Long Beach Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine (PRM)