Commission on Youth and Children
On October 21, 2003, the Long Beach City Council adopted a resolution forming the City's first Commission on Youth and Children. The Commission is a youth-adult board consisting of ten adults and nine youth. The adult commissioners include one Long Beach Unified School Board member, one parent of a child or children under the age of 21, and eight youth service experts. Each youth member has been selected by the City Council member of the district in which he/she resides, and appointed by the Mayor. Youth commissioners must be under the age of 19 at the time of appointment.
Commission Meeting Schedule:
Please be advised that all of the meetings will take place at the El Dorado Park West, 2800 N. Studebaker Road, Long Beach, 90815, and will start at 6:00 p.m.
2017 CYC Meetings
- January 25
- March 22 - Location: Silverado Park 1545 W. 31st Street
- May 24
- July 26
- September 27
- November 15 (3rd Wednesday due to Thanksgiving
Peter Bohn, 3rd District Youth, Co-Chair
Vivian Malauulu, Job Training,Co-Chair
Jeremiah Jones, 8th District,Vice-Chair
Dr. Charles D. Smith, Juvenile Justice,Vice-Chair
Jacob Alpern, 4th, District Youth
Dr. Gregory Canillas, Social Services
Judith Carey-Fisher, Early Childhood Development
Megan Kerr, LBUSD Board Member
Ameerah-Alisandé Massey, Out Of School Time
Emma Parsons, 5th District Youth
Nina Richardson, Education
Roman Rhoads,7th District Youth
Jonathan Schnack, Parent
Advises Mayor and City Council on issues relating to the City's provision of services to youth and children; Annually reviews the City's legislative agenda and Education and Youth Strategic Plan.
Membership: (Appointed by Mayor)
- Eight (8) adults having high level professional experience and/or background service delivery or policy development related to youth and children.
- One (1) adult member serving on the LBUSD Board of Education
- One (1) parent of a child under the age of 21
- Nine (9) youth under the age of 19 at time of appointment and selected by the councilmember of the District in which he/she resides.
Every other year in July
2 years (4 terms max)
City Liaisons to the commission on Youth and Children:
Superintendent, Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine
Norma Salazar - Walker,
Clerical Support, Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine
7550 E Spring Street
Long Beach, CA 90815
Phone: (562) 570-3850 / Fax: (562) 570-1134