Beach Streets Uptown
Saturday, October 28, 2017
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
If you are a local business or organization, please fill out the Participation Request Form link below. Deadline to submit is October 9, 2017.
Beach Streets is an Open Streets event designed to showcase businesses & neighborhoods. For a single day, we close a major traffic corridor to cars & open the street to people walking & bicycling. The event attracts local residents & visitors from across the region to explore & discover the area at a slower "foot-traffic" pace. Previous Beach Streets events have attracted more than 40,000 people!
Businesses, we encourage you to participate! Beach Streets is an opportunity to showcase your business to over 40,000 people!
- Participants of all ages will enjoy family-friendly entertainment at festival hubs along the route, including Wardlow Rd, Atlantic Ave & Houghton Park.
- Opportunity for participants to discover local businesses & services. Try a new restaurant. Explore a new retail store. Find a business service that suits your needs.
- Modes of transportation along the route include: Walking, bicycles, skates, rollerblades, skateboards, etc… Basically anything without a motor (officially marked means of transportation for those with disabilities excepted).
- The event route is free of vehicle traffic & parked cars, no cars on the street!
How to make the most of Beach Streets
- Consider increasing your staff compared to an average Saturday. Businesses tend to be very busy & have high sales at Beach Streets.
- Set up a table in front of your establishment & sell goods.
- Bring interactive activities or services pertaining to the active vibe of the event, e.g. Free face painting, games, arts & crafts, bike decorations, giveaways, live music, DJ, dancers, etc.
- Provide entertainment inside or adjacent to your establishment, especially if you have a private parking lot that can be activated.
- Highlight drink & food specials with outdoor signage.
- Promote your business with your Social Media accounts by tagging Beach Streets & by using the hashtags #beachstreetsbusiness & #beachstreets. Beach Streets Social Media accounts will share #beachstreetsbusiness regularly prior to the event.
- Close your business just because there won’t be vehicular traffic. Beach Streets brings thousands of locals & visitors to your doorstep – some businesses have reported their best sales day ever was during a Beach Streets event!
- Set up a tent in the street. (Unless pre-approved & within an entertainment hub.) The streets are to remain free-flowing for people on bike & foot.
- Block entire sidewalk. Though people will be biking & walking in the street, people may still travel on the sidewalk – especially those in wheelchairs.
- Bring in outside vendors not pertaining to your business or event to set up in front of your establishment. Beach Streets is designed to highlight the local businesses in the neighborhood, & we want to ensure you & your neighbors receive maximum interest.
- Provide just an “informational” table in front of your establishment. Experience has shown that this is less effective than activities & sales in front of the business. We encourage you to provide free interactive activities, sell goods, face painting, games, arts & crafts, bike decorations, giveaways, live music, DJ, dancers, etc.
Requirements to Participate
If you wish to participate on public property, please submit a Participation Form available in your packet or online at Beachstreets.com – Business Information tab.
The City of Long Beach Waiver included in your packet must be filled out if setting up in front of your establishment, which is public property. The Waiver is only needed if you’re setting up on public property. Higher risk activities &/or services (e.g., skate parks, BMX bike demonstrations, etc.) shall require insurance, labeling the City of Long Beach as additionally insured, e.g. skate parks, bike demonstrations, etc. More information at beachstreets.com – Business Information tab.
If you wish to serve food outside of your establishment, you will not need a Health Permit from the City of Long Beach if the food is prepared inside & brought outside to serve. You must be serving in front of your establishment for this requirement to be valid.
Offsite food preparation requires a Health Permit from the City of Long Beach. Food service must be covered & set up under a canopy. Food must be prepared in a licensed permitted kitchen located on the Beach Streets route. You must have a handwashing station. More information at beachstreets.com – Business Information tab.
Sponsoring an intersection allows a business or organization to get maximum exposure & publicity on the Beach Streets route. You can bring a booth, create fun t-shirts with your logo, set up flags or banners, etc. at the intersection you sponsor. If you wish to sponsor an intersection, you must provide volunteers at the intersection for the day. There must be 4 volunteers staffed at the intersection at all times. More information at beachstreets.com – Volunteer tab.
Street Closure Information
Businesses will not have in & out vehicular access from 9:00 AM – 6:30 PM.
Please make arrangements for deliveries to be made prior to Saturday, October 28, 2017.
NO PARKING ALONG THE ROUTE BEGINS AT 7:00 AM.
IF ANY CAR IS PARKED ON THE ROUTE AFTER 7:00 AM, the CAR WILL BE TOWED.
Streets closed to vehicle traffic are labeled in orange on the map on the reverse side. “NO PARKING” signs shall be posted 72 hours in advance.
Select side streets to the route shall be closed to thru traffic. No parking signs shall be posted on a portion of each side street 30 feet going north/south and east/west. The “Crossings” on the map are to allow for vehicular traffic to cross the route.
**TIMES SUBJECT TO CHANGE
- No parking signs shall be posted 72 hours in advance
- Posting times shall be from 7:00 AM – 6:30 PM(Unless Otherwise Noted)
TIME TBD – No parking goes into effect for festival areas
7:00 AM – No parking goes into effect along the route
TIME TBD – Hard Closure | Festival Areas
7:30 AM – Streets begin to close
9:00 AM – Hard Closure of Route
10:00 AM – Event Begins
4:30 PM – Begin opening route
6:30 PM – Route if fully open to traffic
Select portions of the route shall be posted for no parking prior to 7:00 AM & will close prior to 9:00 AM to allow for setup of event festivities.
** INFORMATION STATED ABOVE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Please check back for updates.
What are Other Businesses Saying about Beach Streets?
“We had the best time at Beach Streets! My only regret was not breaking away from our camp to do more exploring!!” - Pedal Spin Studio
“Really loved the event & look forward to more.” – LaunderPet
“My main comment is Hurray!!! This was a Wonderful Event!!! So many people came into my shop who were discovering it for the first time. There was a great sense of community & fun. If I could encourage this to be a yearly event on Broadway, I would!!!!” - Sasha Witte Design
"Busiest day ever!" – Roundin’ Third Sports Bar
Please visit beachstreets.com for further information.
October 4, 2017 @ 6:30 PM
4949 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90805